Friday, June 5, 2015

One Year


Micah 5:5
I feel like I've been waiting to write this blog post for an eternity, but now I realize that i'm not even sure what to say. One year ago I was in Siem Reap, Cambodia with a non-profit called People for Care & Learning. We were at the Red Piano for dinner and I told the girl who was leading the trip that I was on the verge of a panic attack and I needed to leave. A few weeks after I returned home from that trip I found out I was pregnant and I haven't had an anxiety attack since.

Two years ago my husband and I graduated from Lee University. We decided after graduation to move to Kentucky where my husband is from. We purchased a home and got jobs and things seemed to be working out well for us. I'm not really sure what caused the heightened anxiety; being in a new state, lack of friendships, things being different than I hoped. Whatever it was, I started having panic attacks that landed me in the hospital on multiple occasions out of fear that I was dying. Zach didn't understand at first and I don't blame him for it. But eventually, there we were at the hospital at three a.m. and the doctor came in with a sheet of local doctors and told me I needed to find one and be seen for my anxiety. I started seeing a doctor and eventually a therapist. Zach and I started talking about moving to Florida near my family for my emotional and mental well-being. Then I went to Cambodia, came back, found out I was pregnant. And we decided to make the move for sure. 

I wish this could be a blog post on "How to Stop Your Anxiety Disorder," but it's not. I don't really have any answers. If you struggle with anxiety or depression, I hope you don't have tor read this blog post to know you're not alone. My best advice is to get a good doctor and find support in your family and friends. I look forward to the day people feel comfortable openly talking about mental illness and ways we can help one another. 

I'm truly thankful for my supportive husband, loving family, and God's faithfulness and ability to answer our prayers in ways we don't always anticipate. 

No comments:

Post a Comment