Wednesday, April 22, 2015

I Support You


Yesterday I was reading an article written by a doctor about formula and reflux. After I finished reading, I scrolled down to the comment section. There was a comment left by a lady that said, "I am sad to see a whole article about formula feeding."

And just like that, my writers block was magically lifted.

After Harrison was born, I had full intentions on breastfeeding. After all, "breast is best." However, I prepared myself for the reality that it may not be possible, as many women have a variety of struggles that hinder them from doing so. Harrison was hospitalized for a week shortly after coming home from the hospital due to a high fever. We also learned that he was dehydrated and due to both of these things we had to start supplementing with formula. My schedule while Harrison was in the hospital looked something like this.

Breastfeed
Supplement
Pump
Repeat

All.freaking.day.

I had multiple clogged ducts and mastitis and spent the entire day as a milk slave.  However, I was determined to give my child the best possible start to life so he could grow up and be a productive member of society which he obviously would not be if I gave him solely formula, so help me God.

Long story short, I eventually went to just pumping because he was much more interested in the bottle. Then I started enjoying actually hanging out with my son and missed pumping sessions and what little supply I had to begin with dwindled to nothing and I was left with myself and my formula can and spending my afternoon reading ignorant comments bashing concerned, formula feeding mothers who want what's best for their child.

I'd like to believe that all mom's have one thing in common and that's this; we all want what's best for our child. I really wanted to breastfeed. I was really upset with myself when things didn't work out as they did in my dream world even though I gave myself a pep talk beforehand. And if I have another shot at it with a second child, I really hope I can make it work. But here's the thing, my child is now happy and healthy and thriving and not dehydrated and I'm able to actually enjoy him instead of being a worried and depressed milk slave 24/7. That's what was best for my family. Maybe it's not what's best for yours. And that's okay. You want what's best for your child, too! That's awesome and I support your decisions because I know your tender, mama's heart. However, if you find yourself opening that can of formula (although it doesn't make as glamorous of an instagram photo as breastfeeding), I hope you can find the resources and support you need without being made to feel like you're a failure. Because we're all just doing the best we can.

No comments:

Post a Comment