Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Jesus, Beyonce, & Other Thoughts About Our World

I didn't grow up in church. My husband did. But even I know this song. 

"He's got the whole world in his hands he's got the whole wild world in his hands
He's got the whole wild world in his hands he's got the whole world in his hands"

Chances are you've heard it, too. There's a couple more verses, but I'm pretty sure you get the point. 

Ever since I started going to church, I've heard that truth. I've also heard a lot about the world we live in. Apparently it sucks. There's a lot of war, and people who hate Christians, and terrible entertainment choices, and if Beyonce makes even one more music video - Jesus himself is going to lose it.

I'm not denying all of these claims. There is war, there are people who don't like Christians, and there's even probably some questionable entertainment choices. But there's also beauty. There's mountains and waterfalls, and selfless people. There are even songs and movies that move and inspire people for the better.

Today, I'm choosing to hold on to the simple truth that He's still in control.  I'm choosing to shift my  focus on the incredible people we can be and the good we can do. I hope more of the church will join me. Or at least in the meantime, start singing that song again on Sundays. After all, He still has the whole world in his hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment